Sunday, May 12, 2013

Chocolate Sugar Cookies



What you need,

1/3 cup granulated sugar
14 tbsp. butter (I used salted so I left out the salt later on)
1 ¾ cups packed brown sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. salt (if you use unsalted butter)
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
1 ½ cups + 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. baking powder

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or silpats and set aside.

In a large bowl sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda.

In a separate bowl melt 10 tablespoons of the butter in the microwave for 1 minute until completely melted. Stir in the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and let stand 5 minutes.

Whisk the brown sugar and vanilla into the butter until well incorporated.
Whisk in the egg and yolk until smooth.
Stir in the flour mixture until just combined.

Working with 2 tablespoons of dough at a time, gently roll into a ball and then roll the ball into the granulated sugar.
Place the dough ball on the prepared baking sheets.
Repeat the process with the remaining dough. I got exactly 24 cookies.

Press each cookie with the bottom of a flat glass to a 2 inch diameter.
Sprinkle each cookie with a little of the remaining sugar.

Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges start to brown and cookies crack a little on top.
I like my cookies soft and chewy so I did mine closer to 10 minutes.

Cool on the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

You can store the cooled cookies in an airtight container for up to a week but you won’t need to, they are so good you are going to eat them all up in a day or 2.

Jen of My Tiny Oven