Sunday, August 25, 2013

Fridge Pickles



What you need,

8-10 cups cucumbers, sliced ¼ inch thick.  I find the peels a bit tough so I peeled mine
1 or 2 large onions, sliced ¼ inch thick rounds

Combine the cucumbers and onions in a large colander. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of coarse pickling salt and let stand for 2 hours. A lot of liquid should drain out of the cucumbers, which is a good thing!

In a large pot combine,

4 cups granulated sugar
2 cups white vinegar
2 tsp. pickling salt
2 tsp. celery seed
2 tsp. turmeric
2 tsp. mustard seeds

Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.

Pack the cucumbers and onions into jars or plastic containers or if you are my Dad and a 2 gallon ice cream pail!

Pour the hot liquid over the cucumbers until they are just covered.

Put a lid on the container and stash it in the fridge for 2-3 days.

After 2-3 days you have perfect sweet but sour pickles.
These pickles will keep for months in the fridge, but they won’t last that long!

I halved this recipe because I didn’t have enough room in my fridge for that many pickles, you could even quarter it if you wanted to make a small batch. If you have room, double the recipe… do it, otherwise you will be making these twice before fall comes!

Jen of My Tiny Oven